STEPHEN HARROD BUHNER
Stephen Buhner is an Earth poet and the award-winning author of fifteen books on nature, indigenous cultures, the environment, and herbal medicine including the acclaimed book Healing Lyme: Natural Healing & Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis & Its Co-infections. His work has been profiled in The New York Times, CNN, Good Morning America and other media throughout North America and Europe. Since October 2006, Stephen has tirelessly answered hundreds of questions from those following his herbal protocol through his Q & A column.
Published in 2005, Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections by Stephen Harrod Buhner examines the leading scientific research on lyme infection, its tests and treatments, and outlines the most potent herbal medicines and supplements that offer help - either alone or in combination with antibiotics - for preventing and healing the disease. It is the essential guide to lyme infection and its treatment. Thousands of people have used the protocol to successfully manage their symptoms. buy the book
Rather than making it a priority to kill the lyme spirochetes in any form, Stephen's approach to managing lyme disease is as follows:
1. Support collagen structures so that damage to the body systems ceases;
2. Enhance immune function so that the body can deal with the organism itself;
3. Shut down the inflammatory pathways the spirochetes initiate, especially in the CNS;
4. Treat symptoms;
5. And only then, try and kill the spirochete.
Please note: Here is a brief look at the stripped down core approaches to treating Lyme and some of its co-infections. Stephen highly suggests buying his relevant books so that you can see the full expanded protocols. This is just a starting place; the full protocols are much more sophisticated, especially the listings for the many accompanying symptoms that often need to be addressed.
1. Japanese knotweed root (Polygonum cuspidatum) • Powder: 1 tsp - 1 TBS of the root powder 3x daily. Start at the lower dose and work up, OR . . . • Tincture: ¼ - 1 tsp 3-6x daily, OR . . . • Tablets (Green Dragon Botanicals): These are normally labeled as resveratrol on the bottle. They are in fact knotweed root standardized for resveratrol content. (Note: Don’t use grape resveratrol; it won’t work very well.) Some comments on tablet dosages below:
2. Cat's claw bark (Uncaria tomentosa) • Powder: 1 tsp 3x daily, OR . . . • Tincture: ¼ - ½ tsp 3x daily, OR . . . • Tablets/capsules (Green Dragon Botanicals): 1–4 500 mg tablets/capsules 3x day.
3. Andrographis (Andrographis paniculata) • • CapsulesBegin with a small dose and work up. I would recommend 600 mg (1 capsule) 3x daily to begin with, for one week. Then, if there are no side effects, increase the dose to 2 capsules 3x daily. Please check the side effects on this herb: Unpleasant allergic reactions can occur.
4. If you have neuroborrelliosis, add: Gou-Teng (Uncaria rhynchophylla) • Tincture: ½ – 1 tsp 3–6x daily, depending on severity of brain infection.
5. Collagen support protocols (see book) are often essential, as well.
Recent Q & As
Young Living Essential Oils
Dear Stephen, I would be very interested in hearing your take on Young Living Essential Oils (YLEO) and their use for lyme....
Dear Stephen, I'm having severe muscle spasms in my upper back and neck muscles associated with lyme and babesia. I've tried different muscle relaxants, massage, prolotherapy, a...
Kidney stones with lyme
Dear Stephen, I keep making calcium/oxalate kidney stones. I've increased my calcium and magnesium, staying away from high oxalate foods and still am having recurring stones. Pl...
When to take bartonella herbs
Dear Stephen, I recently ordered your recommended bartonella protocol products and would like to know how these should be taken (e.g., time of day, before/after meals, etc.)....
Using allicin/allimed with herbs
Dear Stephen, What are your thoughts on using allimed (concentrated allicin) with your protocol?...
Red swollen gums
Dear Stephen, My husband has a new symptom, not sure if it is related to his lyme disease. His gums are red in certain places and swollen....
Can lyme affect us more on one side of the body?
Dear Stephen, Why does it seem that lyme affects one side of my body more than another?...
Strange skin condition
Dear Stephen, For over a year I've been struggling with a strange skin condition on my face, I hope you can help....
Boneset extract instead of tea for babesia symptoms?
Dear Stephen, By chance, I have boneset extract from Woodland Essence. Can I take that instead of the boneset tea you recommend for babesia induced sweats and chills?...
Okay to supplement l-arginine with mycoplasma?
Dear Stephen, I read an article saying to avoid supplementing l-arginine with mycoplasma, and to avoid arginine-rich foods such as nuts and seeds. Do you agree?...
Mixing mycoplasma and babesia protocols
Dear Stephen, I live in Europe where it is hard to find lyme specialists open to herbs. What do you suggest for both mycoplasma and babesia?...
Aggressive bartonella infection
Dear Stephen, You say that the bartonella protocol should be used for 30 days. If I still have bartonella symptoms after 30 days should I stop the protocol or continue longer?...
Awful bloat, food allergies, exhaustion
Dear Stephen, I'm a 27 year old woman who's been sick for the past two years. It started with bloating and mild food allergies that deteriorated into so many food allergies I ca...
Combining bartonella and babesia protocols
Dear Stephen, Can I use the current bartonella and babesia protocols at the same time?...